Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cunning Mules

"I was just a young child in Peru when Dr Money visited the mission house at Cajamarca, [Google Earth 6°12'17.95"S 78°36'14.29"W] which is approximately 600km north of Lima. My parents James and Elizabeth Turnbull went to Peru in 1928 and remained there until 1937, serving the Evangelical Union of South America, known as EUSA. My father, an ordained minister and qualified to teach went to serve as a teacher and pastor/evangelist and my mother as a nurse/midwife. I was born in Peru and was 5 years old when we left in 1937.

I remember Dr Money as a very special and very very tall man. I liked him very much and his visits were full of laughter and teasing. My parents thought highly of Dr Money and there was much mutual sharing of their work and of their love for the Peruvian people.

My father went up country to visit Indian villages from time to time on horse or mule. On one occasion Dr Money accompanied my father. As they saddled up I was standing nearby. After placing the saddle in the animal Dr Money proceeded to tighten the girth strap. But mules are cunning animals and this one was seemingly unwilling to be involved in the hard work of carrying such a large man and so, as the strap was tightened he took a deep breath and expanded his body. As Dr Money mounted the mule it let out the air, the girth strap was no longer effective and the saddle slipped around the mule's body and Dr Money was deposited on the ground. No damage to Dr Money but much laughter and teasing." Margaret

No comments: